- looking for someone who understands what lies behind a well-crafted story — character, setting, plot, voice, dramatic arc, and more — and can help you take your manuscript to the next level?
- ready to submit your manuscript to an agent or publisher, or ready to take the next step in independently publishing your writing, but need someone who has a keen eye for grammar, spelling, punctuation and all the mechanical elements that are crucial to a professional-looking manuscript?
- unsure about your next writing project? Do you need someone with whom you can discuss the potential of your idea, or how best to proceed after your first draft, but you know the manuscript isn’t ready for a full edit?
I’m here, and through my developmental editing, copy editing, or the one-to-one consultations I offer, I can help.
Why should you entrust your manuscript to me?
- I’m a writer and editor who loves words and loves helping other writers make their manuscripts the best they can be — taking manuscripts from Flubs to Fixes!
- In college, I majored in English, which gave me a solid grounding in language and its use. One memorable college summer, I worked as a proofreader of government documents. I used to say that experience had spoiled me for life, as errors jumped out at me in whatever I was reading. Now I realize it was preparing me for launching my editing service! I launched Flubs2Fixes in the fall of 2013 and, from the very first manuscript I worked on, I knew I had chosen the right field.
- Since I am a writer as well as an editor, I understand how it feels to entrust your manuscript to someone else for feedback of any sort, and so I am sensitive and encouraging while also being as helpful as possible. The joy of editing is not pointing out errors, but rather is helping another writer to learn and grow and make their manuscript shine. I find that all I learn with the goal of honing my own writing makes me a better editor. I continue to learn, and to teach — we all are teachers — and I love to help my editing clients learn more about the craft of writing through the comments and suggestions I make on their manuscripts.
- I have a passion for connecting people with the right resources, whether that resource is a book, a website, or a blog post. I often suggest resources to clients during the editing or consulting process.
I bring all this — plus a commitment to language, literature, and great writing — to my work as an editor.