How does this all work?
How do you request my services, and what happens after that?
You can get a brief overview by reading the information below. After you have requested my services, I’ll send more details as they’re needed.
1. Choose which service suits your needs
In the Services menu, there’s information about everything I offer to help you make your manuscript shine. Go through the possibilities, and decide which one is for you.
2. Send your request
Requesting my services is easy.
- Send your request in an email to mail (at) flubs2fixes (dot) com (replacing the bracketed words with the appropriate symbols) I will not use your contact information in any way except in the context of the requested editing job, nor will I make your contact information available to anyone or any other entity. You will not be added to any mailing list.
- Tell me if your manuscript is picture book, middle grade, or other, and whether it is fiction or nonfiction. Tell me the word count, which service you need, and if you have any time deadline to work with. If this is a RUSH project, there will be an extra charge, but I can still work with you.
- If you’ve never worked with me before, I ask that you send a brief sample of the manuscript in question: the first two (2) pages for a picture book, the first five (5) pages for a longer work. This will let me see if I’m the right editor for you, and will help me establish a time frame for the project. (Note: for a picture book, page means full 250-word page, not the few words or sentences that might appear on the actual published picture book page.)
- I’ll get back to you as detailed in the next step.
3. We work out the terms of the project
I’ll respond by email within 48 hours (usually much sooner than that).
- I’ll let you know if I’m available to work with you
- If I’m not available immediately, I’ll let you know when I will be available
- I’ll suggest a time frame for the project
- I’ll give you a rate quote
- So — availability, time frame, and rate quote
You then respond whether you agree (or not) or if you need to request a change in the time frame. Once we get the details ironed out, it’s time for the next step.
4. The contract
After we’ve worked out the terms of the project, I’ll draw up a contract. It’s a fillable Word document.
- I’ll send the contract as an attachment in a separate email.
- I’ll also send more details about the completion and return of the contract.
- You fill out the contract, save it, and return it as an email attachment.
- Send the manuscript as a separate attachment in the same email.
- I’ll get to work when I receive the emailed contract and manuscript.
- I do ask for a signed contract, but it will be sent by postal mail, and doesn’t affect my work schedule.
5. I return the completed work
When I’ve finished the work, I’ll return the document to you. For either copy-editing or proofreading, you’ll receive
- your manuscript with minor changes already made, for you to accept or reject, as well as comments in the margin using Track Changes
- any general comments I may have
- any resources I want to suggest
NOTE: Unless you request otherwise, I will make minor changes on your manuscript, using the features in Track Changes. You can then accept or reject those changes. For larger issues, I will make suggestions in the comments bar of Track Changes. You will make those changes yourself after you’ve read my comments.
6. I’ll send an invoice
The invoice is sent through PayPal to your email address.
- You don’t need a PayPal account to pay a PayPal invoice.
- It is secure.
- I never see your personal financial information.
- The invoice will be in Canadian dollars.
- PayPal does all the currency conversion, so you don’t have to worry about that.
- Note — if you’re a resident of Saskatchewan, I have to charge PST.
- I’ll receive a notification from PayPal when you have paid.
7. You may ask questions for clarification
For either a copy-edit or a proofread, you are allowed one round of questions, for clarification only, after you’ve read my comments. This opportunity for questions is not intended as a chance to have me review all your changes. For that, you need to request a second edit or proofread after you’ve made all your changes.
After you’ve had a chance to review my comments and suggestions, simply send me an email with your clarification questions (no more than 10) and I will answer them as quickly as possible, via email. Either create a Word document with your questions, or simply list them in the body of your email.
8. The project is complete
~ ~ ~
If you’re ready to request one of the Flubs2Fixes services, just send me an email
mail (at) flubs2fixes (dot) com
CLIENT PRIVACY, SECURITY, CONFIDENTIALITY
- All documents are treated in a confidential manner. No work will be given to a third party, nor will I mention any part of your work to anyone else. I do not share names of clients with anyone, except where you have specifically granted permission, such as for a testimonial on this website.
- Your manuscript and your ideas are safe with me. I will not make use of them in any way except to provide the editing services for which you have contracted with me. I will retain your manuscript only until we have completed the editing process, including answering your questions to your satisfaction, and then will delete it from my computer.